Thursday, May 26, 2011

Video Dish: Dark Girls Preview


It's a tale as old as time.. Check out this documentary about the challenges of being a "Dark Girl".


Dark Girls: Preview from Bradinn French on Vimeo.

Hmph, you would think that in THIS day and time we wouldn't have this same old issue coming up. Although I'm tired of hearing about it, it can't be ignored because it is STILL relevant. I know we all handle things differently in this world but I can tell you this, although I have ALWAYS noticed that lighter girls/women seem to be approached quicker than the darker girls/women, I have NEVER had an issue with my beautiful brown skin. I come from a family that includes the darkest of the dark and the lightest of the light. There was no differences made amongst any of them. These issues start in the home. When that young lady said her mother stated "can you imagine if she had any lightness in her skin", that hurt me something terrible. If a parent doesn't teach a child that they are loved and to love themselves, who will? Society and anybody else can say what they want, but I'm a FIRM believer that "the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice", LOL.  It's time to do better people, ESPECIALLY my black people!

Our children need to know that they are beautiful and worthy no matter what!! On Oprah's finale show yesterday (tear), she said something that ALL of our children need to hear and know, "you are worthy because you were born...because you are here."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails