Thursday, July 29, 2010

R.I.P. Lorenzen Wright


After ten days of searching for Memphis great, Lorenzen Wright, the Memphis Police Department announced yesterday that they found his body in a wooded area of Southeast Memphis. For those that don't know who Lorenzen Wright was, let me fill you in. I consider a man that was as loyal to his city as he was, a Memphis LEGEND!! Lorenzen played basketball for Memphis during high school, college and even came back to play while in the NBA. How many players can we say that about? Wright was drafted into the NBA playing for the LA Clippers in 1996 during his sophomore year at Memphis State University (UOM). During his career he played for LA, Atlanta, Sacramento, Cleveland and of course the Memphis Grizzlies. Check the video below of the 1996 NBA draft, Lorenzen was the first round 7th pick.



Lorenzen was known around Memphis for his untiring efforts in the community, especially when it came to our youth. In addition to spending a great deal of time with his 6 children (ages 4-15), Lorenzen was known to offer his expertise at basketball camps throughout the city. I've seen Lorenzen several times in passing but never knew him personally. However, most times I saw him he was either smiling or just standing back chill. I found an interview on YouTube that shows a little of his character.  The guy interviewing him states that he was "one of the coolest personalities in the NBA and a real people person." Check the interview below.


He seemed like a nice guy, with a beautiful smile and personality. It gave me an eerie feeling when he said "dogs are loyal to you, you don't know about people..but you know your dogs are gonna be loyal." Check MORE DISH to see a tribute video and more on the investigation.



For the last few days Memphians  have been hopeful that he would be brought home safely, yesterday that hope was shattered. Lorenzen's body was found yesterday evening with over a dozen gun shot wounds. The location they found him was not unfamiliar to him, he traveled this road often when visiting his mother. Personally, I'm sick of all the speculation surrounding this case so I won't mention any of the things that I've heard. I've posted a couple of videos from Memphis news channels below, feel free to take a look.


 



The extreme disregard for human life these days is ridiculous!! What kind of monster would kill a man like that and leave him there for days? How do you even sleep after doing something so horrible? I ask that you all keep the Wright family and friends in your prayers, especially his 6 children.  Like I said before, I've only seen him in passing and I actually dreamed about him last night so I can only imagine what his loved ones are going through. Wright's fraternity, Kappa Alpa Psi previously started a search fund to help with locating him. Sources tell me that they are now thinking of using that money as reward for any information leading to an arrest in the case. I'll update the post with information on how to donate  if it turns out to be factual. Below is a beautiful tribute made by Richie Domino (memphismix.com).


R.I.P. Mr. Wright, you will mos definitely be missed!! 

4 comments:

Nylajar said...

Thanks Diva for sharing....I didn't know him as many others may have but we talked a few times and even hung out and what I can say is he had one of the kindest, funniest spirits that I am thankful to say I experienced. His death has hit me hard because all I can think about is, why would someone do a person of his character this way and take him from his children. Everyone that knew him knew he loved his kids more than he loved himself...I continue to seek peace in all this and find some comfort. I continue to pray for his family and hopes they can find peace and justice...thanks again for posting this!

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful write up and a that was a wonderful tribute video. Although we are known for the bad things done in Memphis, its refreshing to see us come together when one of our home grown favorites need us most. God bless his family and friends.

Alisha said...

Many thoughts and prayers to Lorenzen's family, especially his mother and children. He was a good guy. I hope the case is solved to give the family and the city some closure.

SISTAH STAR said...

Dawn... I cant even watch the tribute. The liquor only kept me cool till this morning... After my drama and know this. Dont NOBODY need to say shit to me when I get home. If I dont know you you, back the hell up. Im so sick of this....

Related Posts with Thumbnails