Tuesday, December 1, 2009

World AIDS Day


Today is World AIDS Day and I couldn't let it pass without speaking on it. Its strange because I was going through my computer the other day and I saw a paper I had to write for class titled "Shunning the HIV Community." The paper was about individuals being outcast by family and friends once they were diagnosed with the disease. When I was in undergrad my Biology professor offered our class extra credit if we got tested. I was SHOCKED to hear how many grown people say they had never been tested! NEVER? I'm not sure how many of you have ever been tested, but I'll admit that simply sitting down to take it has me nervous each and every time. Although my results are always negative, I still get an eerie feeling because I know that everyones test doesn't come back that way. It bothers me that many people think this is a disease of homosexuality and/or promiscuity, its NEITHER!!! This disease is growing rapidly and some individuals are not even aware that they have it. All I can say is WRAP IT UP and be safe. Oh and GET TESTED!!!





1 comment:

TalkstillCheap.com said...

You made some very valid points. To add to that a lot of people do not know the difference between having HIV & AIDS. It is important to get tested so you can hopefully catch a positive HIV result at its early stages before you have full blown AIDS. There is a difference. Know your status, and get tested. Even if you know your status, use today and any other day to educate someone as to why they should know theirs too. More infor at www.TalkstillCheap.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails